Saturday, June 7, 2008

High River In High River


It's been like Manchester here lately .... rain, rain and more rain, which is mad because it hadn't rained for 7 months before that. The pic above is of the river flowing under the railway bridge in town. In summer people fish from the gravel bank under the bridge ... a good 10 foot under that water! It's done the grass the world of good, but the timing wasn't the best with Karen, Gary and the boys being here. Talk about 'bringing the weather with you' !! They were here for 20 days and had solid rain for 6 of them. Not too bad in the end - it didn't stop them going out and about. They will do a write up of their hol which we'll put on in a few days along with some pics.

The hockey season has just finished (boo!!), just as I was getting into it. It's the business. I can fully understand why the whole of North America is obsessed with it. Saying that I can 100% guarantee that I won't ever feel the same way about their other sports ...... Football(?), Basketball and Baseball just ain't happening. It's just Rugby for lightweights and Netball/Rounders for blokes if you ask me.

I went to an NHL game back in April (Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks), it was great. The atmosphere was spot on even though we were sat in the Gods. Flames eventually won 3-2 after being 2 down after the 1st period. Go, Flames, Go. I particularly liked 'Beer Guy.' He comes round and serves you in your seat; you're allowed to buy 2 pints!! Pity I've got two hands and only one mouth.



We are off to Florida in 3 weeks time (Yee Haa) and have booked a house in the same community as last time. I can't wait to get fishing again on the lake right by the house. Last time we were there I hooked into a real monster who we affectionately refer to as Colin The Catfish; unfortunately I couldn't land him as I didn't have a net. The fight ended when he straightened my hook and got away. I'll be ready for him this time. Big Col be warned, Bert is gonna get yer.

I'm still not smoking!! 6 months now. I desperately want to be one of those reformed smokers that hate it with a passion. . . I'm not. If I see a crowd of people smoking I feel left out and want to be in the midst getting my nicotine hit. Coffee consumption is well up (as is my weight). Extra caffine is the way to go for Fat Boy.
You'll be pleased to know that all Euro 2008 games are on live (with repeats later in the evening) over here. Who needs hockey?

I'll pass over to 'Hop Along Thompson' aka Nicki.

Love to all.
Bert xx

Hiya all - Nicki here - 'hop-along' no more, having finally shed the cast after 6 long weeks of clomping around . . . turns out it was a new fracture, so I take it all back. I didn't stop driving or miss work or anything . . . can't let a little fracture keep you down! Mind you, I couldn't wash the car . . . and you can imagine how heart-broken I was (?) when I couldn't go swimming with the kids, but was forced to sit on the sidelines reading and drinking coffee. Such is life.

Karen and Gary have been fantastic house-guests. Gary was enthusiasm/appreciation personified, talking the socks off several locals and leaving a couple of donkeys lacking hind legs. They raved about Jasper and the spectacular ice-fields . . . especially as the bears did the 'tourist pop-up' thing the locals grumble about - they saw 9 of them!! Lucky or what?. Bert reckons Elliot's camoflage shirt was the secret . . . that, and the fact that they are 'Woods' so the bears probably couldn't see them for the trees (he doesn't get any better, sadly.)
Anyway, thanks a million for the Wii guys, and the weekend away . . . it was great having you to stay . . . missing you already!!!!

Some of us are glad to see the end of the hockey . . . although bull-riding seems to be making a big come-back as Bert's preferred viewing. Good grief.

Two and a half weeks of school left (not that anyone is counting). Eleanor, Jack and Hannah all have leaving parties, and Katie has to attend a ceremony to receive an award for the highest grade in English. . . cue one proud 'Mom'!!

Nothing else to report just now. Hope all is well in dear old Blighty.
Lots and lots of love and hugs to everyone,
Nicki xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx